How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Gwen Jorgensen 1/2 (USA), Helen Jenkins (GBR) 6/1, Non Stanford (GBR) 10/1, Vicky Holland (GBR) 10/1 – Ladbrokes
- Top 3 Finish: Gwen Jorgensen (USA) 1/9, Helen Jenkins (GBR) 5/4, Flora Duffy (BER) 5/2 – Sky Bet
- Gwen Jorgensen of the USA was named Female Athlete of the Year in both 2013 and 2014 by USA Triathlon, and won the ITU World Triathlon Series in 2014 and 2015. She participated in London 2012, but only managed to finish in 38th place because of a flat tyre during the cycling section of the race, so she will be keen to get a better result this time, and is a deserving favourite to win the gold.
- Helen Jenkins was ITU World Champion in 2008 and 2011, and was part of Team GB in the previous Summer Olympics in 2012. She finished in fifth place on that occasion, so wasn’t far from winning a medal, and looks to be in a good position to do that for Great Britain in Rio.
- Non Stanford is another Team GB triathlete with medal chances. She won gold in the ITU Triathlon U23 World Championships in 2012, and followed that up with another gold in the ITU World Championships in 2013.
- Vicky Holland was part of the British Mixed Team Relay squad that won gold in both 2012 and 2014, and she earned her first individual medal by placing third in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. She went on to win the Cape Town and Edmonton rounds of the 2015 World Triathlon Series.
Whilst Team GB has several excellent chances of winning a medal here, it is difficult to oppose Gwen Jorgensen as the triathlete who is most likely to win the gold itself. She won every one of the eight races that she competed in last year, and five of seven races this year, with silver and gold in the other two, so she is about as confident a selection as anyone could be in this event. From the remainder, we would rate Helen Jenkins and Vicky Holland as the biggest dangers.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Gwen Jorgensen to win the Women’s Triathlon – 1/2 at Ladbrokes
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.
**Disclaimer: Neither Sports.net nor the sponsors of this page are affiliated with the Olympic Games in any way.