How the Bookies See It
- Winner: Rory McIlroy 9/1, Dustin Johnson 8/1, Jason Day 11/1 Jordan Spieth 16/1 – BetVictor
- Top 5 Finish: Rory McIlroy 15/8, Dustin Johnson 15/8, Jason Day 2/1, Henrik Stenson 7/2 – Coral
- Dustin Johnson won his first major earlier this year in the US Open. He tied for seventh place in this tournament in 2015, and most recently tied for a ninth-place finish in the 2016 Open Championship, where Henrik Stenson beat Phil Mickelson to first place after extraordinary performances by both men.
- Jason Day won this event in 2015, finishing 20 under par and three shots clear of runner-up Jordan Spieth. He tied for tenth place in this year’s Masters, and tied for eighth in the US Open, but only managed a T22 finish in the Open Championship.
- Rory McIlroy hasn’t had a great year as far as the majors are concerned, and his best performance was in the Open Championship earlier this month, where he finished four under par to secure a tied fifth place.
- Jordan Spieth won both the Masters and the US Open in 2015, and finished in second place in last year’s US PGA. He tied for second place in this year’s Masters, but didn’t fare so well in the US Open or Open Championship, finishing in tied 37th and 30th place, respectively.
As the reigning champion, Jason Day will be keen to try and secure back-to-back wins, but his form in majors this year isn’t spectacular. Jordan Spieth will be hoping to go one better than last’ year’s second place, and his tied second in the Masters in April should encourage those who fancy backing him to do that.
Rory McIlroy is always in with a chance, and has the best record here, but he hasn’t been quite consistent enough this year for us to want to put money on him. Henrik Stenson and Phil Mickelson will both be supremely confident after finishing so far clear of the rest of the field at The Open, but to back up an effort like that with another tilt at a title would be quite a feat. Our tip is therefore Dustin Johnson, who will be expecting to improve on the T7 finish that he achieved in this tournament last year. His 2016 US Open victory will still be fresh in his mind, and he looks like a fair selection to make the top five.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Dustin Johnson to achieve a Top Five Finish – 15/8 at Coral
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.