How the Bookies See It
- Queen Anne Stakes: Ribchester 8/11, Lightning Spear 5/1, Mutakayyef 8/1 – Ladbrokes
- Prince of Wales Stakes: Highland Reel 3/1, Jack Hobbs 3/1, Ulysses 7/2 – Bet365
- Ascot Gold Cup: Order Of St George 4/5, Simple Verse 7/1, Big Orange 8/1 – William Hill
- Coronation Stakes: Winter 8/15, Dabyah 7/1, Precieuse 7/1 – Sky Bet
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes: Limato 5/1, The Tin Man 7/1, Magical Memory 7/1 – BetFred
- With six races scheduled for each day of the five-day festival, there are plenty of opportunities for bettors to have a go at picking winners. What makes that task rather difficult at Royal Ascot is the extremely high level of ability that is present, and in many races the best that one can do is narrow the field down to a handful of the most likely contenders and hope that Lady Luck favours the ones that are selected for wagering purposes.
- Having said that, there are a few stand-out horses which both bookmakers and bettors are expecting to see in the winner’s circle, including Ribchester in the Queen Anne Stakes, Order Of St George in the Ascot Gold Cup and Winter in the Coronation Stakes.
- The Godolphin-owned Ribchester took the Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes on 20 May, beating second-placed Lightning Spear by three and a quarter lengths. The pair are expected to be the ones to dominate the Queen Anne Stakes on Tuesday, and there is no reason to think that the favourite will allow Lightning Spear to turn the tables.
- Order Of St George is the favourite to win the Ascot Gold Cup on Thursday, and will come to the race on the back of winning the Seamus & Rosemary McGrath Memorial Saval Beg Stakes (Listed) on 26 May. There were just five runners in that event, and the Gold Cup will be a very different race, but the favourite has the best official rating and has an impressive strike rate of 47.06%, so he looks to be worthy of his slightly odds-on price.
- Winter came back from a break of 237 days in April of this year, and has since won two out of three races, with the victories being achieved in the 1000 Guineas Stakes at Newmarket on 7 May and in the Irish 1000 Guineas on 28 May. That makes Winter a solid favourite to take the Coronation Stakes on Friday, although the Gosden-Dettori combination with Dabyah is also likely to attract support.
It wouldn’t surprise us in the least if Ribchester, Order Of St George and Winter were all to justify their status as the current Ante Post favourites to win their respective races, but landing a treble is difficult enough at the best of times, so we won’t be tempted to try and achieve it at Royal Ascot.
As far as picking a single selection is concerned, it is no easy task, but we will side with Ribchester to take the opening trace of the festival and hopefully give us a profit to play with on subsequent days.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Ribchester to win the Queen Anne Stakes – 8/11 at Ladbrokes
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.