How the Bookies See it:
- Winner: Arsenal 2/5, Draw 7/2, Basel 13/2 - Bet365
- Correct Score: Arsenal 2-0 13/2, Arsenal 1-0 7/1, Arsenal 2-1 7/1 - Betfred
- Both Teams To Score: Yes 4/6, No 6/5 - BetVictor
- Arsenal kicked off their Champions League campaign with a 1-1 draw away to Paris Saint-Germain after Alexis Sanchez scored a late equaliser. The Gunners have also begun to improve in the Premier League after an underwhelming start when they took just one point from their first two games, having gone on to beat Watford, Southampton and Hull City in consecutive matches.
- Basel would have viewed their opening match, at home to Bulgarian side Ludogorets Razgrad, as their easiest of the group stage, but they had to come from behind to rescue a 1-1 draw. They have been in far better form domestically, though, having won their first eight matches of the season in the Swiss Super League to put them on course for an eighth successive title.
Arsenal are understandably firm favourites given their home advantage and the depth of quality in their squad, so Olivier Giroud’s suspension should not be too much of a concern following his red card against PSG. While Arsene Wenger’s side have yet to really get into top gear this season, they are at least showing signs of hitting their stride after a worrying start.
They were surprisingly defeated 3-2 at home by Olympiakos at the equivalent stage of last season, so there will be no complacency this time around and surely lightning can’t strike twice, even if Basel will arrive in London with some confidence from their domestic winning streak and Seydou Doumbia, in particular, has the talent to cause Arsenal’s shaky defence some problems.
As Arsenal are still a work in progress and remain vulnerable at the back, the best value for punters could be to combine a couple of options, and Paddy Power have odds of 9/5 that Arsenal will win but both teams will score. The Gunners have won all four of their previous matches against Swiss sides and should make it five in next week’s meeting, even if they have to negotiate the odd wobble.
- Sports.net’s top tip - Arsenal to win and both teams to score - 9/5 at Paddy Power
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.