How the Bookies See It:
- Winner: Northampton 12/1, Draw 5/1, Manchester United 2/7 – Bet365
- Both Teams to Score: Yes 1/1, No 8/11 – Paddy Power
- Half Time/Full Time: Man Utd/Man Utd 8/11, Draw/Man Utd 3/1, Draw/Draw 9/1 – SkyBet
- Northampton are currently sitting in 11th place in the League One table, and have won 2, drawn 5 and lost 1 from the 8 league matches played in the season thus far. They are in fairly good form of late, and have won two of their last three League One matches, with the loss occurring in their most recent match against Chesterfield. As far as the EFL is concerned, Northampton arrived here on the back of a 2-1 win over Barnsley in the first round, and then drew 2-2 with West Brom in the second round before going on win the match 4-3 on penalties.
- Manchester United are 7th in the Premier League table, having won 3 and lost 2 of the 5 Premier League matches they have played this season. Unfortunately, they have lost each of their last three matches, with a 2-1 defeat by Manchester City on the 10th September, a 1-0 loss to Feyenoord in their UEFA Europa League match on 15th September and a 3-1 shaming at the hands of Watford last Sunday 18th September.
If Manchester United weren’t coming here on the back of three consecutive losses they would be considered certainties to beat Northampton this evening. The two teams haven’t met often on the pitch, but when they have, Manchester United have dominated, beating Northampton 3-0 in January 2004, 2-8 in February 1970 and 6-2 in February 1966. Northampton have to look back to August 1965 for the last time they fared better, and that match ended in a 1-1 draw.
Northampton will obviously be buoyed by their opponent’s poor recent performance, and by the fact that massive upsets tend to be far more common in cup ties than they are in league games, so they will go into this match with everything to play for. That said, Manchester United, as frustrating as they have been of late, are used to playing at a much higher level, and manager Jose Mourinho will expect them to take this opportunity to get back to winning ways.
Whilst we like to see the underdogs win as much as anyone else, we will put aside the disappointing blip of Manchester United’s last few matches and base our selection on their overall form. We therefore expect the Premier League team to dominate from the outset and to be winning at both half time and full time.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Man Utd/Man Utd for Half Time/Full Time – 8/11 with SkyBet
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.