How the Bookies See It
- 15:05 Southwell: It Must Be Faith 7/2, Big Amigo 7/2, Fujin 4/1 – Paddy Power
- 16:15 Southwell: Playful Dude 15/8, Athassel 6/1, Lucky Louie 13/2 - Ladbrokes
- 16:25 Plumpton: Royal Etiquette 15/8, Kastani Beach 9/2, Great Link 7/1 – Bet365
- The 15:05 at Southwell is a 6f handicap and It Must Be Faith looks like a joint favourite worth opposing. Whilst the gelding has been dropped to a tempting mark and Adam Kirby has been booked for the ride, he has only won four from 36 races, and his last win was achieved way back in November 2014. Big Amigo has won three races from 19 runs, and will come here on the back of two consecutive wins, whilst Fujin has also notched up two wins from his last two races, and has achieved a total of five wins from 39 runs.
- The 16:15 at Southwell is a 1m handicap and Playful Dude is the favourite, having made the frame in his last five races. The four-year-old has won one race from 11 runs, but he seems to be coming into his own right now and was only defeated by a short head last time out. Athassel has won just three races from 37 races, but all of those successes have been achieved from his last four races. Lucky Louie has had 12 runs and has yet to win.
- The 16:25 at Plumpton is a 2m handicap hurdle event. Royal Etiquette has won three races from 69 runs, but comes here on the back of two impressive performances even though he had to settle for second place on both occasions. Kastani Beach has won three from 33 races, but hasn’t made the frame since March of last year, whilst Great Link has won five from 25 races and has placed in two of his last three races.
We would expect the 15:05 at Southwell to deliver a battle between Big Amigo and Fujin, but choosing between the two isn’t easy, and our preference for Big Amigo is only due to his slightly better strike rate.
Playful Dude is a reasonable favourite in the 16:15 at Southwell, but goes up against an in-form Athassel, who will be looking for his fourth win in five starts, and can be backed at an attractive each-way price.
The 16:25 at Plumpton could well go to Royal Etiquette, and we find him difficult to oppose, but we would prefer to side with a fairly recent winner for betting purposes. For that reason, we will side with Athassel to make the frame in the 16:15 at Southwell whilst rooting for him to win the race outright.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Athassel Each-Way in the 16:15 at Southwell – 6/1 with Ladbrokes
*Please note that odds will fluctuate as the race approaches.