How the Bookies See it:
- Match Winner: Exeter 13/8, Blackpool 19/10, Draw 11/5 - BoyleSports
- To Lift The Trophy: Exeter 5/6, Blackpool 1 - Bet365
- First Goalscorer: Ollie Watkins (EXE) 11/2, Kyle Vassell (BLA) 6/1, Reuben Reid (EXE) 6/1 - Bet365
- Both Teams To Score: Yes 13/20, No 5/4 - BetVictor
- Blackpool overcame Luton Town 6-5 on aggregate in the semi-finals, after a 3-2 home victory and an extraordinary 3-3 draw at Kenilworth Road. The Seasiders trailed with just 15 minutes to go in the second leg, but Armand Gnanduillet equalised and Stuart Moore’s stoppage-time own goal sealed a remarkable victory.
- Exeter City also won their semi-final 6-5 on aggregate, prevailing 3-2 on home soil in the second leg to finally see off Carlisle United’s spirited resistance. Just like Blackpool, they had an injury-time goal to thank for their success as Jack Stacey drove in a last-gasp winner.
- Blackpool had the better of the two fixtures between the teams in the regular season, winning 2-0 on the very first day of the campaign before drawing 2-2 at Exeter on 25th February.
There is a hair's breadth between the teams with the bookies after they both came through their semi-finals in similarly dramatic fashion, having finished just a point apart in the final League Two table. Blackpool arguably come into the tie in marginally better form after winning four of their last six matches before the play-offs, and the fact they are marginal underdogs makes them more attractive for punters.
Blackpool’s performance across both legs of the semi-final illustrated their attacking threat, with Mark Cullen scoring a hat-trick in the first match. They also had a better defensive record than Exeter during the League Two season and will be hoping to regain some of that solidity after such an open double-header against Luton. For a better price than an outright win, punters may also be tempted by odds of 10/3 on Cullen to score in a victory for Blackpool.
Exeter cannot be discounted, of course, and were comfortably the better team across the two legs of their semi-final against Carlisle. David Wheeler, Ollie Watkins and Reuben Reid are all among the top scorers in the division and the Grecians displayed tremendous fighting spirit to knock out Carlisle. If there is another end-to-end game at Wembley they will fancy their chances, and BetVictor punters can get a price of 18/5 on Exeter to win with both teams to score. However, Blackpool, who have risen from 14th in the table in February, have momentum on their side and could just sneak a close contest.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Mark Cullen to score and Blackpool to win - 10/3 at Sky Bet
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.
Enjoyed this article? Read our preview ahead of the Championship play-off final between Huddersfield Town and Reading.