How the Bookies See It
- Match Winner: Leo Santa Cruz 1/2, Carl Frampton 15/8, the Draw 18/1 – Betfred
- Method of Victory: Santa Cruz by KO 9/4, Santa Cruz by Decision 5/4, Frampton by KO 11/2, Frampton by Decision 7/2 - Ladbrokes
- Fight to Go the Distance: Yes 1/2, No 6/4 – William Hill
- Leo Santa Cruz is the current featherweight world champion, and has previously been the IBF bantamweight and super bantamweight champion. He has won 32 fights from a total of 33 at professional level, and has drawn once. 18 of his wins (56.2%) were achieved by KO.
- Carl Frampton has previously been the WBA (Super) and IBF super-bantamweight champion. He has had 22 professional fights and won all of them, including 14 (63.6%) by KO.
It isn’t difficult to see why Santa Cruz is odds-on to win this fight, as he has more professional experience than his opponent, with 33 fights to Frampton’s 22. Santa Cruz himself is extremely confident, to the point where he has been reported as already talking about becoming champion at multiple higher weights. Whilst confidence is important, too much of it can work against a fighter, and if he underestimates his opponent this Saturday, Frampton is a boxer who will make him pay for the error.
Irish fighter Frampton has a 100% record of success, and will step into the ring in New York with a determination to prove the bookmakers wrong. He beat Scott Quigg in February to win the WBA (super) super-bantamweight title, and before that fight Quigg was unbeaten, so Frampton will take plenty of encouragement from that achievement as he prepares to face Santa Cruz.
We think that this match is much closer than the odds suggest, and with Frampton having a higher percentage of wins by KO, we will side with the Irishman to maintain his winning record at the favourite’s expense.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip – Carl Frampton to beat Leo Santa Cruz 15/8 – Betfred
*Please note, odds may fluctuate in the lead-up to the fight