How the Bookies See it
- Steven Woolfe: Evens - Betfred
- Suzanne Evans: 10/1 - Ladbrokes
- Paul Nuttall: 16/1 - Ladbrokes
- Douglas Carswell: 28/1 - Sky Bet
- Steven Woolfe is the UKIP spokesman on migration and financial affairs and an MEP for the North West of England. He previously worked as a barrister and has always been a keen supporter of Farage.
- Suzanne Evans worked as a Conservative party councillor before switching her allegiance to UKIP in 2013. She was in contention to take over when Farage stepped down after last year’s General Election, but his resignation was not accepted. However, she is not currently eligible after being suspended in March and would need her ban to be lifted if she wishes to pursue leadership of the party.
- Paul Nuttall has been Farage’s deputy since 2010 and is also an MEP for North West England. He has a higher media profile than most of his fellow contenders and is an impressive public speaker.
- Douglas Carswell is the party’s sole MP after defecting from the Conservatives and winning the Clacton by-election in 2014. He does not enjoy the best of relationships with Farage and believes there is now an opportunity for the party to move forward, but has given no indication that he wants to stand.
It may be a surprise to see Evans and Carswell among the favourites to become the next leader despite one being ineligible and the other seemingly unwilling to stand. However, both would undoubtedly receive tremendous support if their situations changed and Evans’ odds, in particular, could be worth keeping an eye on.
Her ban stems from challenging homophobic comments made by UKIP candidate Alan Craig, which was reportedly seen as ‘disloyal’ but she is keen to succeed Farage and a few common-sense discussions could clear the path for her to throw her hat in the ring. Woolfe and Nuttall are both much more in Farage’s mould but, in the wake of Brexit, it could be in the party’s best interests to switch focus and look at a more forward-thinking leader.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Suzanne Evans to become next UKIP leader - 10/1 at Ladbrokes
Please note, odds are likely to fluctuate.