How the Bookies See It
- Poland: Robert Lewandowski 13/2, Arkadiusz Milik 8/1 Mariusz Stepinski 8/1, Jakub Blaszczykowski 10/1, Kamil Grosicki 11/1 – Paddy Power
- Portugal: Cristiano Ronaldo 7/2, Eder 8/1, Nani 9/1, Ricardo Quaresma 10/1, Joao Mario 12/1 – William Hill
- No Goalscorer: 5/1 – William Hill
- Robert Lewandowski has failed to score a single goal thus far in the tournament, and will be looking to break that pattern, but whether he will do so tonight against Portugal is another matter.
- Arkadiusz Milik was the player who scored against Northern Ireland in their first game, securing a 1-0 victory for Poland and getting the team’s Euro 2016 campaign off to a good start.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has had a rather dismal Euro 2016 so far by his standards, missing several chances and showing frustration at times, but he did manage to get two in the back of the net against Hungary in Portugal's third game.
- Nani has scored twice for Poland in the run-up to the last eight – once against Iceland and once against Hungary. Although his tally in this tournament is no better than Ronaldo’s, it could be argued that he is in better form and could well put another one past the keeper this evening.
Given that Cristiano Ronaldo is a prolific goalscorer when he is in good form, the fact that he is being offered at the lowest odds for being the first goalscorer this evening is unsurprising. Whilst his current form is lacking, he did manage to get two past the Hungarian goalkeeper on 22nd June, and it could well be that he is now poised to add to that. He will certainly relish the opportunity to silence his many critics, but whether or not he has saved his best for the last few games, only time will tell.
Robert Lewandowski and Arkadiusz Malik will both be keen to draw first blood for Poland, but the team is expected to play a rather tight defensive game, and they may not get as many chances to strike as they would like.
All of that leads us to prefer Portugal’s Nani as the best bet for first goalscorer. His form is better than Ronaldo’s of late, he has scored just as many goals in Euro 2016 and he is offered at the bigger price.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Nani to be first goalscorer - 9/1 at William Hill
*Please note, odds may change as the game approaches.