How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Arsenal 13/10, Liverpool 2/1, Draw 12/5 - Sky Bet
- First Goalscorer: Olivier Giroud 5/1, Alexis Sanchez 11/2, Daniel Sturridge 6/1 - Bet365
- Half Time/Full Time: Arsenal/Arsenal 29/10, Draw/Draw 9/2, Liverpool/Liverpool 19/4, Draw/Arsenal 5/1 - BetVictor
- Arsenal aren’t known for adding great numbers to their squad when the transfer window comes around, and this year has been no exception. The Gunners splashed out £34 million on the impressive Granit Xhaka before signing youngster Rob Holding from Bolton as Arsene Wenger looked to only strengthen in areas he saw fit. The long-serving boss likes to work with a tightly-knit squad and his current crop showed what they are capable of in pre-season, picking up four wins and a draw from five matches, including a 3-2 win over Manchester City.
- Liverpool look to be much changed following the summer break. Manager Jürgen Klopp has trimmed his squad and added quality where last season’s team were lacking. Sadio Mane and Georginio Wijnaldum have looked impressive in pre-season as the Reds racked up six wins from a possible nine, and even thrashed Spanish champions Barcelona 4-0 at Wembley.
Arsenal will be eager to start the Premier League season well, having faltered on the opening day in previous years. The Gunners look well-armed, with Olivier Giroud looking to fire his team to victory and give the home fans something to shout about. The Frenchman is favourite to open the scoring, but a better bet would be for the frontman to hit the target anytime during the match, with the best price for that set at 9/5 with Ladbrokes.
Jürgen Klopp has had the summer to work closely with his squad after a rollercoaster ride in his first seven months in charge at Anfield that saw the club reach a League Cup and Europa League final. The German enters the new campaign with a worryingly low number of striking options, with Christian Benteke seemingly on his way to Crystal Palace and Daniel Sturridge facing a race against time to be fit for Sunday’s game. It may be that Klopp deploys Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane to lead the attack, with both players handsomely priced to break the deadlock with Bet365. If you don’t like the odds offered on Giroud, they’re worth a shot.
Games between these two teams are rarely dull, with 15 goals hitting the back of the net in the past four meetings, including a 3-3 draw when the side last met in the league. A high scoring affair is tantalisingly priced ahead of the clash, with 888Sport offering odds of 15/1 that there will be over 5.5 goals in the 90 minutes.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Sadio Mane to score first - 17/2 with Bet365
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.