How the Bookies See it:
- Winner: Man City 8/15, Draw 31/10, Southampton 11/2 – Paddy Power
- Both Teams to Score: Yes 8/11, No 1/1 – Ladbrokes
- Under/Over 2.5 Goals: Under 5/4, Over 4/7 – SkyBet
- Manchester City are at the head of the Premier League table, but only just. With 19 points, they are tied with Arsenal, and occupy the top position thanks to conceding just one less goal (they have scored 19 and conceded 8, for a goal average of 2.37 per game). Of course, that doesn’t take anything away from their record this season, and Manchester City have won six of their eight Premier League games, whilst drawing one and losing one. The latter two results both came in their last two matches, with City suffering a 2-0 loss to Tottenham on Sunday 2nd October and holding Everton to a 1-1 draw on Saturday 15th October.
- Southampton have won three, drawn three and lost two league matches this season, which gives them 12 points and puts them in eighth place on the table. As we said at the head of this preview, the Saints are currently enjoying an unbeaten run of four premiership matches, most recently holding Leicester City to a 0-0 draw on Sunday 2nd October and then achieving a 3-1 win over Burnley on Sunday 16th October. Southampton have scored 10 goals and conceded 7 in their Premier League games this season, giving them an average of 1.25 goals per game.
Manchester City are worthy favourites to win this match against Southampton, and we’re not taking anything away from the Saints by saying that. Whilst Southampton are in good form and have done well to string together their current unbeaten run, the fact remains that City have had a superb start to the season and are – on paper at least – superior in almost every respect.
Given that Man City will be playing at home, and that Southampton will be coming here as the clear underdogs, we don’t see the visitors being able to overpower their opponents. What we do expect is for Southampton to put up a good fight, and we wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them score a goal against the home side, with our anticipated outcome a 2-1 win to City.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Correct Score - Manchester City to win 2-1 – 7/1 with Ladbrokes
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.