How the Bookies See it:
- Winner: Liverpool 13/10, Man City 19/10, Draw 13/5 – Sky Bet
- First Goalscorer: Sergio Aguero 22/5, Daniel Sturridge 11/2, Divock Origi 11/2 - BetVictor
- Correct Score: Draw 1-1 6/1, Liverpool 2-1 9/1, Man City 2-1 11/1 - Bet365
- Liverpool came from behind to crush Stoke City 4-1 on Tuesday and extend their winning run to three games, having previously snatched a late 1-0 victory over Everton in the Merseyside derby and winning 3-0 at Middlesbrough. They will head into the latest round of matches in second place, six points adrift of leaders Chelsea.
- Manchester City boast a similar record to their opponents ahead of Saturday’s trip to Anfield. They are just one point behind Liverpool and have also won three matches in a row, defeating Watford 2-0, Arsenal 2-1 and then Hull City 3-0 on Boxing Day.
- Liverpool ran out convincing winners in both Premier League matches between the teams last year, triumphing 4-1 at the Etihad Stadium before claiming a 3-0 victory at Anfield.
The bookies seem unsure as to which way this match will go, with Liverpool the marginal favourites. Jurgen Klopp’s side are the highest scorers in the Premier League this season and have a number of players in terrific form, so the injured Philippe Coutinho has not been missed too much and even Sadio Mane’s impending departure to the Africa Cup of Nations should not be too much of a worry.
Liverpool’s defence remains vulnerable, though, and Man City have the talent to threaten beleaguered goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, particularly with Sergio Aguero available to return from a four-match suspension. City’s performances have not quite been as dazzling as Liverpool’s in recent weeks, but three important wins in Aguero’s absence have kept them in touch with the leaders.
As two of the most attacking teams in the Premier League, the safest option for punters may be to back on both sides scoring at odds of roughly 1/2. For even better value, though, it could be worth a wager on Liverpool to win with both teams scoring at a price of 3/1 with Bet365. Liverpool have the home advantage, sparkling form behind them and good recent memories of facing City, so they look a good bet to come out on top in a belter of a match.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Liverpool to win and both teams to score - 3/1 at Bet365
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.