How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Liverpool 1/5, Draw 11/2, Swansea 12/1 - Coral
- First Goalscorer: Daniel Sturridge (LIV) 3/1, Divock Origi (LIV) 7/2, Roberto Firmino (LIV) 9/2 - 32Red
- Correct Score: Liverpool 2-0 7/1, Liverpool 3-0 15/2, Liverpool 2-1 9/1 - BetVictor
- Liverpool picked up their first win of 2017 with a hard-fought victory over League 2’s Plymouth Argyle, thanks to a first goal in seven years for Lucas Leiva. However, in the league the Reds seem to be stuttering following successive draws against Sunderland and Manchester United, games in which Klopp’s side surrender valuable leads. Things don’t look to be getting any easier for the charismatic German, as Liverpool face the daunting prospect of four games in the space of just 11 days. Could a number of fringe players be handed starting roles to help ease the strain?
- Swansea City may be under new leadership following the appointment of Paul Clement, but the results remain the same. Defeat to Hull City in the third round of the FA Cup was followed by a 4-0 thumping at the hands of Arsenal, however, the team did show signs of life, and even managed to pile the pressure on the Gunners before a calamitous second half collapse. The Premier League’s sole Welsh representatives have picked up just two wins in their last eight Premier League outings, form that will see the Swans suffer their first relegation in 15 seasons should it continue.
Liverpool will be looking to take advantage of a Swansea defence that has conceded 49 times in just 21 league outings. The Reds have been in rampant form in front of goal this term, netting 62 times in all competitions, and will be looking to exploit the weaknesses the Swans displayed in their last outing against Arsenal. The home side are 5/6 to score over 2.5 goals during the game, while a haul of over 4.5 goals for the home side offers odds of 5/1 - both with Coral.
The Anfield faithful will be delighted to see Philippe Coutinho return to the field following a lengthy lay-off. The Brazilian, who completed 65 minutes against Plymouth in midweek, has certainly proved influential as the club aim to end their 27-year wait for a league title and is well priced at 9/2 with Betfred to break the deadlock this weekend, while a goal at anytime is available at 11/8. Meanwhile, teammate and fellow countryman Roberto Firmino might also be worth keeping an eye on, particularly at 6/5 with 32Red to score anytime.
Swansea’s record against Liverpool is simply appalling. The team from South Wales have won just one of their last ten meetings with the Reds and have never tasted victory at Anfield in the league. If Paul Clement’s side are to put an end to this dreadful run, they must do what no side has done this season and beat the Merseysiders on home turf. At 14/1, a win for the Swans looks unlikely, but a draw is a real possibility if they can produce an outstanding defensive display - 6/1 with BetVictor.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Philippe Coutinho to score anytime - 11/8 with Betfred
*Please note, odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.