How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Liverpool 4/9, Draw 19/5, Swansea City 6/1 - Coral
- First Goalscorer: Daniel Sturridge 5/1, Divock Origi 5/1, Roberto Firmino 5/1 - Paddy Power
- Correct Score: Liverpool 2-1 7/1, Liverpool 2-0 7/1, Liverpool 1-0 15/2 - Boylesports
- Swansea City are without a league win since the opening day of the season and have lost four of their last five games. Francesco Guidolin may have signed a new deal in the summer, but his side’s poor form has seen them slip to within a point of the relegation zone and left the Italian leading the way in the managerial sack race. Despite this run, the club from South Wales have saved their best performances this season for playing the bigger teams in the division at the Liberty Stadium, holding Chelsea to a 2-2 draw and running Manchester City close before slipping to a 3-1 defeat.
- Liverpool have found their form following a mixed start to the season. A freak 2-0 defeat away to Burnley has since been glossed over by impressive results against Premier League champions Leicester and Chelsea. Jürgen Klopp seems to have finally stamped his mark on the Anfield side, but it remains to be seen whether his team can produce these performances over a sustained period of time.
Swansea City don’t have the best record against their Premier League rivals from the red half of Merseyside. The Welsh club have lost six of their last eight meetings with the Reds, and while a 3-1 victory last season may be cause for optimism amongst Swans fans, that meeting was against a very different Liverpool side than the one they will face this weekend. Swansea will need to be at their very best to stop Klopp’s free-scoring men, with odds of 8/1 being offered by Bet365 on Lukasz Fabianski keeping a clean sheet and a 1-0 Swansea win priced at 25/1 with the same company.
Summer acquisition Fernando Llorente scored his first goal for Swansea in their last outing against Manchester City, a strike that the Liberty Stadium faithful will hope is the first of many as the club aim to steer themselves clear of a relegation battle later in the campaign. The former Juventus forward is 10/1 to score first with Boylesports, while a goal at anytime in a Swansea win will also reap the same odds with William Hill. Swans teammate Gylfi Sigurdsson might also be worth keeping an eye on to net in this game, especially from set-pieces. Once a transfer target for this weekend’s opposition, the Icelandic midfielder is 12/1 to score first, or 7/2 to find the back of the net at any time, both with Paddy Power.
Liverpool have looked unstoppable in front of goal in their last few outings in all competitions. The Reds have scored 24 times in eight games this term and have failed to find the target on only one occasion. The travelling supporters will be quietly confident of another goal-fest this weekend against a side who have shipped ten goals already, with Bet365 offering odds of 7/2 on the Reds netting over 3.5 times during the game. However, a concern for Klopp will be his team’s inability to keep a clean sheet. Summer signing Loris Karius made his long-awaited Premier League debut against Hull last weekend, but still failed to keep out a David Meyler strike in a comfortable 5-1 win. The 23-year-old German will be hoping to put this right on Saturday and is 11/8 with Bet365 to keep out the Swansea strikers.
Despite the presence of notable front men Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings, it is Liverpool’s midfielders who are proving hardest to handle this season. Adam Lallana seems to be excelling under the tutelage of Klopp and has produced some of his finest displays to date in recent games. The England man is 11/5 with Bet365 to score anytime, while a goal at anytime in a 3-1 win is very handsomely priced at 22/1. Another player to watch is Sadio Mane, who is already proving his worth following his £36 million move from Southampton this summer. The Senegalese sensation is 5/1 with Paddy Power to break the deadlock and well priced to score anytime.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Sadio Mane to score anytime - 7/5 with Ladbrokes
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.