How the Bookies see it:
- Winner: Max Holloway 8/13, Anthony Pettis 5/4 - Betfred
- Method of Victory: Holloway by decision or technical decision 15/8, Holloway by KO, TKO or disqualification 5/2, Pettis by decision or technical decision 4/1 - BetVictor
- Round Betting: Holloway Round 1 13/2, Pettis Round 1 8/1, Holloway Round 2 11/1 - Ladbrokes
- Donald Cerrone v Matt Brown: Cerrone 2/5, Brown 2/1 - Sky Bet
- Max Holloway’s career record stands at 16-3 following an impressive run of nine wins in a row since his last loss, to Conor McGregor in August 2013. He was just 21 at that time and is a much stronger all-round fighter now, as he showed with a unanimous points decision win over Ricardo Lamas in June.
- Pettis beat Charles Oliveira via submission in his most recent bout in August, but had previously lost three consecutive fights at lightweight level. He has won 19 of his 24 career matches, including seven knockouts and nine by submission.
Max Holloway’s status as favourite is understandable following his long winning streak and he is sure to be full of confidence after dealing quite comfortably with Ricardo ‘the Bully’ Lamas in June. This match-up should also play into Holloway’s hands, as Pettis’ main strength is on his feet and Holloway has the style to combat his attacks.
There is no doubt that Pettis is an incredible striker and has the potential to take the interim title, but Holloway is so good defensively that he should be able to resist long enough to bring out his own strong boxing skills. Pettis’ defeats by Rafael dos Anjos and Eddie Alvarez also suggest that he could be vulnerable if a wrestling contest develops.
Rather than simply backing Holloway, the market for method of victory may provide better value, and BetVictor has odds of 15/8 on the favourite winning by decision or technical decision. Eight of Holloway’s career wins have come by decision, including his last two bouts, and with a title on the line there may not be many opportunities for either man to finish the fight early.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Max Holloway to win by decision or technical decision - 15/8 at BetVictor
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.