How the Bookies See it:
- Jose Aldo v Max Holloway Winner: Jose Aldo 10/11, Max Holloway 10/11 - BetVictor
- Method of Victory: Aldo by KO, TKO, submission or disqualification 5/2, Aldo by decision or technical decision 9/5, Holloway by decision or technical decision 11/4, Holloway by KO, TKO, submission or disqualification 10/3 - Bet365
- Round Betting: Aldo on points 9/4, Holloway on points 3/1, Aldo Round 1 17/2, Holloway Round 1 9/1 - Sky Bet
- Jose Aldo suffered his first defeat in more than ten years when he was knocked out in the first round by Conor McGregor in December 2015, but bounced back with a victory over Frankie Edgar in his most recent bout last July to leave his career win-loss record at an impressive 26-2.
- Max Holloway has lost three of his 20 career fights but comes into his showdown with Aldo on a ten-bout winning streak. He beat Ricardo Lamas by unanimous decision last June, before stopping Anthony Pettis at UFC 206 in December to become interim Featherweight champion.
The bookies can’t really decide who is going to emerge triumphant, with Aldo a marginal favourite with some firms, whilst others having them neck-and-neck. One important factor in Aldo’s favour could be that he will be competing in his homeland, while he is also the more experienced fighter. The Brazilian is technically strong and will be pleased that he is taking on a man who likes to adopt a similar style, so fans can expect both fighters to stay on their feet and trade punches rather than grapple on the canvas.
From Holloway’s point of view, he will be extremely confident that he is up to the challenge, and will hope to take advantage of any rustiness shown by an opponent who has not set foot in an Octagon for almost a year. The American is four inches taller than Aldo and will look to capitalise on his better reach, whilst staying away from the home man’s dangerous leg kicks. Both fighters have a lot of stamina and the ability to take a lot of punishment, so it could well go the distance and be won via a judges’ decision. Due to Aldo’s recent inactivity, the smart money could therefore be on Holloway to finish better and just edge the contest.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Max Holloway to win by decision or technical decision - 11/4 at Bet365
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.