The two players mentioned a moment ago are the bookies favourites to win their respective semi-finals, but there are two other semi-finalists – Milos Raonic and Tomas Berdych – who will be very keen to overcome their status as betting underdogs by defying the official rankings.
How the Bookies See It
- Tournament Winner: Andy Murray 4/7, Roger Federer 11/4, Milos Raonic 7/1, Tomas Berdych 20/1 - SkyBet
- Milos Raonic v Roger Federer: Raonic 6/4, Federer 8/15 – Paddy Power
- Tomas Berdych v Andy Murray: Berdych 9/2, Murray 1/7 – William Hill
- Andy Murray beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in their quarter-final match, which went to five sets. Murray won the first two sets, 7-6 and 6-1, then lost the next two sets by 3-6 and 4-6, respectively. The fifth set saw Murray dominate once again, defeating his opponent by 6-1. Murray is ranked 2nd in the world.
- Roger Federer, who is currently ranked 3rd in the world, had a quite different quarter-final match against Marin Cilic, losing the first two sets 6-7 and 4-6, before clawing his way to victory by 6-3, 7-6 and 6-3.
- Milos Raonic’s quarter-final match against Sam Querry went to four sets. Milos won the first two sets, 6-4 and 7-5, then dropped the third set 5-7 and recovered by taking the fourth set 6-4. Raonic is ranked 7th.
- Tomas Berdych faced Lucas Pouille in his quarter-final, and was the only player to reach the semi-finals in a straight sets victory, beating his opponent 7-6, 6-3 and 6-2. Berdych is ranked 9th.
It goes without saying that all four semi-finalists are in good form, otherwise they wouldn’t have made it this far. Although we are always on the lookout for value in betting underdogs who have the ability to defy them, both Federer and Murray are extremely hard to oppose and it does look very likely that the upcoming matches will follow official rankings. If there is any surprise to come, it would probably be in the match between Federer and Raonic, but we believe that Federer’s vast experience here, and his insatiable hunger to win, will seal his advantage.
The very short odds available about Murray and Federer make singles betting unattractive, so we will combine the two in a fairly confident double in an effort to boost the odds a little. Their combined price is still odds-on, but that is merely a reflection of their chances.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: A double on:
- Roger Federer to beat Milos Raonic at 4/7
- Andy Murray to beat Tomas Berdych at 1/7
- 0.79/1 at William Hill
*Please note, odds may change in the run-up to matches.