How the Bookies See It
- Top Goalscorer: Sergio Agüero 11/4, Zlatan Ibrahimovic 3/1, Diego Costa 12/1, Harry Kane 14/1 – Paddy Power
- Sergio Agüero of Manchester City scored 24 goals in league games in the 2015/16 season, which tied him for second place in the race for the Golden Boot, which he had previously won in 2014/15. He has already scored three league goals this season, but he has also received a three-game suspension for use of his elbow against West Ham’s Winston Reid, so he will be off the pitch for a little while, and will miss the Manchester Derby this Saturday.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has also scored three league goals this season, averaging one goal for every 90 minutes on the pitch thus far. The Swedish striker was signed by Manchester United in July, and previously played for Paris Saint-Germain, so he wasn’t in the running for the Golden Boot last season. Even so, he scored 113 goals from 122 appearances for the French team (38 goals from 31 Ligue 1 appearances in 2015/16), and is widely regarded as one of the best players in the world.
- Diego Costa has scored two goals so far this season, and his record at the club, which he joined in 2014, is 34 goals from 57 games. In the 2015/16 season, he played 41 matches with Chelsea and scored 16 times.
- Harry Kane won last year’s Golden Boot in impressive style, but has yet to score this season from three appearances. He was runner up to Sergio Agüero in 2014/15, and ahead of Diego Costa by one goal in the same year.
We expect Harry Kane to get back into goal-scoring territory before too much longer, but winning the Golden Boot this year will prove a lot more difficult with Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the running. Sergio Agüero should be in the top three if he performs to his best, but his three-match suspension could be all it takes to give the Swedish striker the edge. Our pick of the bunch is therefore Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has already got off to a fine start and who can be expected to continue in a similar manner.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Zlatan Ibrahimovic to be the 2016/17 English Premier League Top Goalscorer at 3/1 – Paddy Power
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.