Hamilton is currently second in the 2016 Drivers’ Championship table, some 11 points behind his Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg, so a victory here would help him to strengthen his claims to winning a fourth title this year. Of course, Rosberg will be just as keen to deny him that privilege, and those two are the bookies favourites to win, but is this really another two-horse race, or will the famous rivalry between the two Mercedes drivers make it possible for another driver to spring a surprise at a bigger price?
How the Bookies See It
- Race Winner: Lewis Hamilton 1/1, Nico Rosberg 2/1, Sebastian Vettel 8/1 – William Hill
- Podium Finish: Lewis Hamilton 1/4, Nico Rosberg 1/3, Sebastian Vettel 4/6 - Coral
- Drivers’ Championship: Lewis Hamilton 8/15, Nico Rosberg 13/8, Sebastian Vettel 50/1 – Paddy Power
- Lewis Hamilton bounced back nicely from his fifth place disappointment in Canada by winning the Austrian Grand Prix on 3rd July.
- Nico Rosberg, who had won the Canadian Grand Prix, had to settle for fourth place in Austria – a result that reduced his lead in the Drivers’ Championship.
- Sebastian Vettel was forced to retire from the Austrian Grand Prix at lap 26 when a tyre on his car exploded. He was leading the race at the time.
We have already said that Lewis Hamilton is just one British Grand Prix success away from equalling Nigel Mansell’s record, and he will be primed to make that happen this weekend. At the same time, the not-always sporting rivalry between Hamilton and Nico Rosberg has been extremely evident this season, and Rosberg will want to make life as difficult as he can for the Brit.
Given the tension between the two Mercedes drivers, and the fact that they have only achieved a double podium finish twice this season, we wouldn’t be surprised if one of them fails to get a podium finish at Silverstone. That would play right into the hands of Sebastian Vettel, who will be keen to recover from his forced retirement in the previous race, and whilst we are tempted to tip Vettel for a surprise win at lengthier odds, we will be cautious and side with him for a podium finish.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Sebastian Vettel for a podium finish at 4/6 – Coral
*Please note, odds may change as the race approaches.