As always with festivals such as this, the odds available will fluctuate throughout the meeting, but for those of you who would like to place an Ante Post bet or two, Glorious Goodwood has several feature races which are well worth taking a look at.
How the Bookies See It
- Sussex Stakes (Wednesday 27th July) – Galileo Gold 15/8, The Ghurka 2/1, Awtaad 11/2 – Paddy Power
- Goodwood Cup (Thursday 28th July) – Big Orange 4/1, Flying Officer 7/1, Pallasator 7/1 – William Hill
- Nassau Stakes (Saturday 30th July) – Minding 1/2, Alice Springs 8/1, Persuasive 8/1 – SkyBet
- Sussex Stakes – Galileo Gold won the 2,000 Guineas on his first appearance as a three-year-old, and comes here on the back of winning the St. James's Palace Stakes last month. The Ghurka was second in that race, and Awtaad (having previously beaten Galileo Gold in the Irish 2,000 Guineas) was third, so it is no surprise to see the trio head the market again.
- Goodwood Cup – Big Orange won this race by a neck in 2015, and if he succeeds again this year he will join the likes of other back-to-back winners, such as Double Trigger and Further Flight. He has won 5 races from 8 starts, and achieved a place in the other 3. Flying Officer has had two outings since his most recent win, which was at Ascot last October, and he succeeded in making the frame on one of them. Pallastor has won around one-third of his outings over the last few years, and has previously managed to finish ahead of both Big Orange and Flying Officer.
- Nassau Stakes – Minding is one of the best three-year olds around, having won the 1,000 Guineas, Epsom Oaks and the Pretty Polly Stakes. Alice Springs has made the frame more often than not, whilst Persuasive has an even better winning record with fewer starts.
The Sussex Stakes is a tricky race to call, with all three of the runners mentioned having a decent chance of winning. We favour Galileo Gold to once again leave The Ghurka and Awtaad in his wake.
Big Orange could be a decent priced winner of the Goodwood Cup, and with a 100% record of making the frame, we wouldn’t dissuade anyone from backing him to beat his rivals.
Minding looks like an excellent selection for the Sussex Stakes on Wednesday, and should prove her odds-on price to be perfectly reasonable if running to form.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: An each-way bet on Big Orange to win the Goodwood Cup – 4/1 at William Hill.
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.