How the Bookies See it
- Race Winner: Lewis Hamilton 5/4, Nico Rosberg 13/10, Daniel Ricciardo 11/1, Max Verstappen 11/1 – William Hill
- Drivers’ Championship: Nico Rosberg 1/6, Lewis Hamilton 7/2 – Paddy Power
- Will Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg Finish on the Podium?: Yes 4/7, No 5/4 – Bet365
- Lewis Hamilton had a poor start to the F1 racing season, and he didn’t win a race for Mercedes until the Monaco Grand Prix in May. He followed that up with another win in Canada, and he also won this year’s races in Austria, Great Britain, Hungary and Germany. Unfortunately, his form slid quite badly after his success in the German Grand Prix at the end of July, and he hasn’t won a race since. Hamilton now stands on 280 points, which puts him in second place for the Drivers’ Championship.
- Nico Rosberg’s year so far has been a mirror image of Hamilton’s. After winning the first four races of the season, he added another win in the Grand Prix of Europe in June, and then had to watch his team-mate win four races in a row. Rosberg then bounced back to winning ways in Belgium in August, and he has won three of the last four races that have taken place since then. With 313 points to his credit, he has performed better than any other driver this year, and has an advantage that gives him a very good chance of winning the 2016 Drivers’ Championship title.
- Daniel Ricciardo has won just one Grand Prix this season, and that was in Malaysia at the beginning of October, but he has placed well in most of the other races for Red Bull, and has achieved a top-five finish on no fewer than thirteen occasions. That has helped the Australian to earn 212 points, which puts him in third place for the Drivers’ Championship.
- Max Verstappen has also won just one race for Red Bull, and that was in Spain in May. The Dutch driver has achieved a top-five finish eight times, as well earning fewer points in four other races, and he is currently in fifth place in the Drivers’ Championship table, with 165 points.
Yet again, the bookies have Hamilton and Rosberg on an almost equal footing to win the next Grand Prix race in the USA, and it is becoming increasingly tough to predict which of the Mercedes team members will dominate proceedings.
Hamilton will of course be keener than ever to close the gap between himself and Rosberg for the Championship, but the last few races have demonstrated quite clearly that the desire to win doesn’t always translate to the fulfilment of that desire.
Rosberg has worked hard to bounce back from his mid-season slump, and fully deserves to be in the lead for the Championship title. He will be just as keen to extend his lead as Hamilton will be to reduce it, but the German also has positive recent form to add strength to his objective.
Whilst we can’t confidently say which Mercedes driver will win the United States Grand Prix, we are confident that both will be doing their utmost to succeed. We will therefore tip them both to achieve a podium finish, and we are once again looking forward to seeing how the race unfolds.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to finish on the podium: 4/7 at Bet365
*Please note, odds may change as the race approaches.