How the Bookies See it
- Match Winner: India 1/2, England 4/1, Draw 9/2 - Bet365
- Top England Batsman: Joe Root 11/4, Alastair Cook 7/2, Jonny Bairstow 11/2 - BetVictor
- Top England Bowler: Adil Rashid 11/4, Moeen Ali 7/2, Ben Stokes 5/1 - Paddy Power
- Top India Batsman: Virat Kohli 9/4, Cheteshwar Pujara 4/1, Murali Vijay 9/2 - Sky Bet
- Top India Bowler: Ravichandran Ashwin 11/8, Ravindra Jadeja 11/4, Jayant Yadav 5/1 - Ladbrokes
- India won the third Test by eight wickets to move 2-0 up in the series, after getting the better of the key moments. The top order may not have flourished in Mohali, but the spin trio of Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja and Jayant Yadav excelled with bat as well as ball and India’s seamers out-bowled England’s fast men.
- Having battled hard in the first two matches, England were undone by a poor first session in Mohali as they wasted the opportunity to post a big first-innings score after winning the toss. Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root again batted well without quite making decisive contributions, while Adil Rashid continued to be England’s standout bowler.
A gap of nine days since the last match constitutes a long break for England on an energy-sapping tour, giving them some opportunity to lick their wounds and regroup. Although India proved in the last game they did not have to win the toss to win the match, England are unlikely to be so wasteful if they get another chance to bat first and it is still a shrewder option to consider the player markets rather than betting on the outright winner despite India’s dominance so far.
The impressive Haseeb Hameed has had to be replaced in the touring party due to injury, and it will be back-up opener Keaton Jennings who strides out alongside Alastair Cook at the top of the order. As another left-hander, though, it will be a tough task for the Durham player against India’s off-spinners, and a right-hander such as Joe Root looks a better bet to be England’s top batsmen. He has thrown away a few good starts this series but still seems to be in glorious touch and can be backed at around 11/4 to be leading run-scorer.
An even better option may be available in the top England bowler market. While Adil Rashid is an understandable favourite after a breakthrough series, a price of 11/2 on James Anderson is very appealing. He bowled well on quite an unresponsive track in Mohali, in what was his first game back from injury, and if there is any assistance on offer at the Wankhede Stadium he is likely to thrive.
- Sports.net’s top tip: James Anderson to be top England bowler - 11/2 at Paddy Power
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.