How the Bookies See It:
- What Will Happen First in 2017: Ireland to win the Six Nations 11/4, Golden State Warriors to win the NBA Championship 3/1, Ronnie O’Sullivan to win the World Championship 5/1, Barcelona to win the Champions League 6/1, Rory McIlroy to win the Masters 11/1 – Paddy Power
- The Six Nations rugby union tournament begins on Saturday 4 February, and England are the current 10/11 favourites to win, with Ireland next best at 9/4. Ireland have won the Six Nations title thirteen times, the most recent being in 2015, so they have the ability to succeed here, but England have the best record of all in this competition and won’t be easy to beat.
- The Golden State Warriors are the 4/5 favourites to win the NBA Championship, with the Cleveland Cavaliers currently priced as the 3/1 second favourites. The Warriors and Cavaliers top the Western Conference and Eastern Conference tables, respectively, and the Warriors are worthy favourites to win the Championship for the fourth time in June.
- The Snooker World Championship starts on Saturday 15 April and concludes on Monday 1 May, and Ronnie O’Sullivan will be playing for his sixth title here. Paddy Power have O’Sullivan installed as the 4/1 favourite, with Mark Selby next in the betting at 9/2.
- Barcelona are currently the 7/2 favourites to win the Champions League for a sixth time, with Bayern Munich the 4/1 second favourites and the current champions, Real Madrid, third in the betting at 5/1. The final will be played on Saturday 3 June.
- The 2017 Masters tournament will be held from Thursday 6 until Sunday 9 April, and Rory McIlroy is currently the 8/1 joint second favourite (along with Jason Day) to win it for the first time in his career. Jordan Spieth is the favourite at 13/1. McIlroy is suffering with a rib injury at the time of writing, which may well affect his chances here.
- Other options in the What Will Happen First in 2017 market include Andy Murray to win Wimbledon, Michael van Gerwen to win the World Matchplay darts tournament and more.
This is a tricky market and in our opinion the best approach for bettors to take is to go through the list of options and delete the ones where the named selection doesn’t inspire confidence. That done, one could take the remaining options and either bet on the option that is scheduled to finish earliest, or bet on the option where the selection warrants most confidence in the hope that lesser convincing selections don’t win first.
We lack confidence in Ireland winning the Six Nations competition unless England underperform, and we can’t side with Rory McIlroy to win his first Masters given his current injury, but we do think that the Golden State Warriors have every chance of winning the NBA Championship. We also think that their chances are greater than those of Ronnie O’Sullivan or Barcelona, so we will place a cautious bet on the Warriors being the first winners from the options available, and watch with interest.
- Sports.net’s top tip: The Golden State Warriors to win the NBA Championship in the What Will Happen First in 2017 market – 3/1 with Paddy Power
*Please note that odds may fluctuate.