How the Bookies See It:
- England v Fiji: England 1/200, Fiji 45/1, Draw 100/1 – Paddy Power
- Wales v Japan: Wales 1/28, Japan 10/1, Draw 28/1 – Ladbrokes
- Scotland v Argentina: Scotland 10/11, Argentina 19/20, Draw 16/1 – William Hill
- England got their autumn campaign off to a fantastic start on Saturday 12th November by turning the historical tables on South Africa and beating them 37-21. The team had lost to South Africa on each of twelve previous occasions, so to win at the thirteenth time of asking was a big achievement, and to win by such a decisive margin was even better. Fiji last played England in the Rugby World Cup on 19th September, 2015, and they lost that match 35-11. They played the Barbarians on Friday 11th November and lost 40-7. England have faced Fiji six times in total, and have won the match every time.
- Wales played Australia on Saturday 5th November, and were beaten soundly, with the game ending 32-8 in Australia’s favour. The good news for Wales is that their match against Argentina on Saturday 12th November resulted in a 24-20 victory, and that ended a run of five losses in a row. It was a tight game, and could have gone either way, but a penalty from Leigh Halfpenny in the 78th minute secure the match helped Wales to redeem themselves after a disappointing run of results. Wales have played Japan nine times, and have lost only once. That was in 2013, when Japan won 23-8.
- Scotland played Australia on Saturday 12th November and they lost the game by the narrowest of margins, with the match ending 22-23 in Australia’s favour. Scotland started well and were leading for most of the game, but the Wallabies finally closed the gap and edged in front. That’s when the Scots really demonstrated what they are made of, because they pushed again and again in the closing stages of the match to reassert their dominance, but were beaten by the final whistle. Scotland and Argentina have faced each other 15 times, with Scotland winning six matches and Argentina winning nine.
Whilst we expect both England and Wales to win their matches this Saturday, the odds offered on them securing outright victories are far too short to warrant a bet. Handicap markets are of course available on those games, but we aren’t quite so confident that England or Wales will win by sufficient margins to justify involvement in those markets.
For us, Scotland look like the best team to side with for betting purposes. Their performance against Australia was superb, and the match could easily have ended in their victory. In addition, Wales were drubbed by Australia, but they still managed to beat Argentina, so if the form holds up and Scotland continue to play as they did last Saturday, they should have plenty to celebrate.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Scotland to beat Argentina – 10/11 with William Hill
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.