How the Bookies See It:
- Grand Final Winner: Warrington Wolves 2/1, Wigan Warriors 9/4, Hull FC 5/2, St Helens 7/2 – William Hill
- Warrington Wolves are sitting at the top of the Super 8s table with 41 points, having won 20 of the 28 games that they have played, drawing 1 and losing 7. The Wolves have won four of their last six matches, with their two losses being to St Helens on 4th August and to Hull FC in their Challenge Cup match on 27th August. Their most recent match was against Widnes Vikings on 9th September, when they won by 30:12.
- Wigan Warriors have won 19 of their 28 matches, and lost 9, giving them 38 points and third place in the Super 8s table. They have won three of their last six games, losing once in their Challenge Cup match with Hull FC on 29th July, and then to Castleford Tigers on 12th August and to Widnes Vikings on 1st September. They then overturned their previous defeat by Hull FC by beating them 12:18 on 9th September.
- Hull FC are in second place in the Super 8s table, with 20 wins and 9 losses from 29 matches played and a total of 40 points. They have won four of their last six games, including a Challenge Cup match against Warrington Wolves on 27th August, and their two most recent losses were at the hands of St Helens on 2nd September and Wigan Warriors on 9th September. Their latest match against Wakefield Trinity saw them win 12:18, and that was on 15th September.
- St Helens have the best recent form of the four teams here, having lost just one match from their last six, and that was to Wigan Warriors on 19th August. They bounced back from that by defeating Hull FC by 31:10 on 2nd September, and Castleford Tigers by 4:16 on 8th September. With 18 wins and 10 losses from 28 matches, St Helens have 36 points and are fourth on the Super 8s table.
Any of the four teams here could make it to the Super League XXI Grand Final if they played to the best of their ability, but Warrington Wolves, Wigan Warriors and Hull FC have been the most consistent teams this season as far as match wins are concerned, and if that pattern continues they could well leave St Helens out in the cold.
Warrington Wolves should have little trouble reaching the final if they maintain their current momentum, but who they are most likely to face looks a tad harder to call. There is certainly plenty of betting interest in Hull FC right now, and their second place in the Super 8s table is well deserved.
The defeat of Hull FC by Wigan Warriors on 9th September, reinforces their second favourite position in the betting market, and we are prone to agree with the odds makers that they have a slightly (but not dramatically) better chance of reaching the final.
With all of that said, we think that Warrington Wolves have the best chance of walking out into the Theatre of Dreams on 8th October, and we will also select that team to win the Grand Final itself.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Warrington Wolves to win the Super League XXI Grand Final – 2/1 with William Hill
*Please note that odds may fluctuate.