How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Man City 1/3, Draw 9/2, Celtic 17/2 - Betfred
- Half Time/Full Time: Man City/Man City 17/20, Draw/Man City 17/5, Draw/Draw 17/2 - BetVictor
- Correct Score: Man City 2-0 6/1, Man City 1-0 7/1, Man City 2-1 15/2 - Bet365
- Celtic’s return to the Champions League ended in disaster as they were crushed 7-0 by Spanish giants Barcelona at the Nou Camp. The Scottish champions, who found themselves a goal behind after just three minutes, could not handle the Catalan club’s irresistible strike force of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar as they slumped to their biggest European defeat in history.
- Manchester City made it all the way to the semifinals of the competition last season and will be hoping to go one step further this time out. City’s European group stage adventure started positively as they slotted four past German side Borussia Monchengladbach at the Etihad Stadium, with striker Sergio Aguero scoring a hat-trick. A similar display against arguably the weakest team in the group would do just nicely as City aim to steal top spot from the seemingly-unstoppable Barcelona.
Brendan Rodgers insisted his players should not be embarrassed after their drubbing at the hands of Barcelona on matchday one. Celtic’s boss saw his side ripped apart in Spain and will be praying for a better performance as Manchester City visit Celtic Park. The Northern Irishman has plenty of experience facing City during his time as Liverpool manager, guiding the Reds to two wins, two draws and two defeats against the team in sky blue. Rodgers will be encouraged by the fact that City’s defense has been breached on a number of occasions this season, with a win by a single goal looking like Celtic’s best chance of sneaking the three points. A shock 1-0 victory for the home side is priced at a very handsome 33/1 with Paddy Power.
Manchester City have started this season in scintillating fashion and look to be getting stronger with every game they play. Pep Guardiola is rapidly stamping his mark on a team that has failed to perform on the European stage in recent years and will be hoping that he can maintain his impressive start to life in Manchester as the Citizens travel to the green and white side of Glasgow. Following their impressive win against Monchengladbach, fans will be optimistic of City’s ability to rack up a cricket score against Group C’s whipping boys. A score of 4-0 is available at 13/1, a 5-0 win will reap odds of 25/1, while a repeat of Barcelona’s mauling is priced at 125/1, all with Paddy Power. For those expecting a tighter affair, a bet of Draw/Man City in the Half Time/Full Time market could prove tempting at 3/1 with Sky Bet.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Manchester City to win 4-0 - 13/1 with Paddy Power
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.