How the Bookies See it:
- Winner: Arsenal 11/8, Basel 19/10, Draw 12/5 - William Hill
- Correct Score: Draw 1-1 6/1, Arsenal 1-0 8/1, Arsenal 2-1 8/1 - Paddy Power
- Both Teams To Score: Yes 4/7, No 11/8 - BetVictor
- FC Basel were touted as the dark horse of Group A, but have fallen flat after picking up just two points from five games. The 19-time Swiss champions suffered three straight defeats to Arsenal and PSG (twice), sandwiched in between disappointing draws with the Bulgarian outfit, Ludogorets. Back home, Basel have fared far better and remain on course for an eighth successive title.
- Arsenal began their Champions League campaign with a 1-1 draw away to PSG, before big wins over Basel and Ludogorets saw them all but safe ahead of Matchday 4. However, things got a little trickier for the north London club when they were forced to come from behind to secure victory in Bulgaria, while a nervy 2-2 draw at home to the Parisians left the Gunners safely through, but facing the prospect of yet another thorny tie in the last 16. On home soil, the side from the Emirates recently suffered their first defeat in more than three months, going down to Southampton in the EFL Cup, but remain on good form in the league.
Arsenal are favourites heading into his final group game and it’s clear to see why. The Gunners have been on top form in the league, while early qualification for the knockout stages of the Champions League has seen Wenger’s players avoid the ‘will they, won’t they’ situation that has haunted Arsenal teams of the past. A win in Switzerland is expected for the Premier League giants, with William Hill offering odds of 11/8. An away win to nil looks even more tempting at 17/5 with BetVictor, but for those looking for an even better return, a 2-0 win looks excellent value at 12/1.
However, Basel will be no pushovers and have more than pride to play for, with a place in the Europa League last 32 up for grabs. The Swiss side need only better Ludogorets’ result and they will steal third place in the group and a place in Europe’s second tier competition. Given that Arsenal have qualified, the home side could take advantage of a half-hearted approach from the visitors and sneak a result. A Basel win is available at 2/1 with Coral, while a cheeky 2-1 victory could be worth a look at 10/1.
The Gunners must win and hope that PSG drop points at home to Ludogorets if they are to avoid the likes of Barcelona in the next round. Arsenal are 8/1 with Bet365 to top Group A by the close of play, while the reigning French champions are 1/14 to retain their place - hardly a handsome price, but an option for those punters looking for an additional leg on their accumulator.
- Sports.net’s top tip: FC Basel to win - 2/1 with Coral
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.