How the Bookies see it
- Winner: Murray 1/4, Raonic 3/1 – Bet365
- Set Betting: Murray 3-0 7/5, Murray 3-1 12/5, Murray 3-2 9/2, Raonic 3-2 15/2 – BetVictor
- Total Games: Under 41.5 5/6, Over 41.5 5/6 – Sky Bet
- No.2 seed Murray had to withstand an inspired fightback from Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to win his quarter-final in five sets, but has otherwise not dropped a single set in the tournament. He has won two of the ten Grand Slam finals he has previously contested, and one out of two at Wimbledon, but this is the first time he will play an opponent other than Djokovic or Roger Federer.
- Raonic, seeded sixth, came from two sets to one down to beat seven-time Federer in the semi-finals. He has dropped five sets in total on his way to his first Grand Slam final.
- Murray has beaten Raonic on six of the nine previous occasions in which they have played, including the last five. The most recent meeting came in the final at Queen’s Club just before Wimbledon, when Murray came from a set and a break down to win a tight match.
It is not hard to see why Murray is a firm favourite. He is the higher-ranked player, has more experience of playing in Grand Slam finals and will have the crowd behind him, while Raonic has also had to spend more time on court and exert more energy. The Canadian undoubtedly has the ability and fierce determination to become a Grand Slam champion at some stage and it could even happen on Sunday, but his game does not match up well against Murray’s.
While Raonic’s main weapon, a sledgehammer of a serve which was clocked at 144mph against Federer, is best suited to grass, Murray is such an accomplished returner that this strength may be neutralised to a great extent. The recent encounter at Queen’s may provide the best indicator of what could happen, with Murray becoming increasingly adept at reacting to his huge serve and then starting to dominate most of the extended rallies.
A bet on Murray to win the match probably does not offer great value on its own, so it may be an idea to explore the market for set betting. Raonic can’t be taken lightly and should grab at least a set, so a 3-1 victory to Murray does look tempting at 11/4 with Bet365.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Andy Murray to beat Milos Raonic 3-1 – 11/4 at Bet365
*Please note, odds may fluctuate in the lead-up to the match.