What the Bookies Say
- Winner: Williams 3/10, Kerber 11/4 - Boylesports
- Set Betting: Williams 2-0 5/6, Williams 2-1 14/5, Kerber 2-0 6/1 - 32Red
- To Lose Set 1 and Win: Williams 5/1, Kerber 11/1 - Ladbrokes
- Williams made short work of world number 50 Elena Vesnina in the semi-finals, dispatching the Russian in just 48 minutes 6-2, 6-0. The match wasn’t exactly a tough test, but Williams did what she had to do and lost just one point on her first serve in the whole game. The 34-year-old has stormed to the final, only needing a third set once, but will be cautious about facing Kerber, one of three players to have unexpectedly caused an upset against her during the last year.
- Kerber beat Williams’ sister Venus in her semi, coming through 6-4, 6-4. She has finished off all of her ties at the championships so far in two sets, although she was run close by world number five Simona Halep in the quarter finals. She has lost five of her last seven matches against Williams, but won the most recent tie, at the final of the Australian Open.
Serena Williams is one of the greatest tennis players of all time and is very difficult to beat, although she has lost in the final of the last two Grand Slam finals in which she has played. Although Kerber was responsible for one of those defeats, it is unlikely Williams will make the same mistakes twice.
Her serve has been at its powerful best during Wimbledon this year and that will put the world number four on the back foot. This is borne out by Paddy Power’s 1/300 on Serena notching up the most aces during the tie. If, for some reason, you think Kerber can outdo her hard-hitting opponent in that market, the bookie will pay out 14/1.
The odds on a straight win for Williams don’t offer much value, but you can find a decent 14/5 from 32Red on the American triumphing by two sets to one. Kerber has enough in the tank to push it into three sets, as proved at the Rod Laver Arena in January, but it is difficult to bet against Serena picking up her seventh Wimbledon title.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip - Serena Williams to win 2-1 at 14/5 with 32Red
Please note that odds may fluctuate before the game begins.