How the Bookies See It
- Drivers’ Championship: Lewis Hamilton 1/5, Nico Rosberg 4/1, Daniel Ricciardo 200/1 – SkyBet
- Race Winner: Nico Rosberg 1/1, Lewis Hamilton 11/10, Daniel Ricciardo 7/1 – William Hill
- Lewis Hamilton had a surprisingly slow start to the 2016 season, and his first win didn’t come until the end of May, when he won the Monaco Grand Prix. He went on to win again in Canada, finished in a disappointing fifth in the European Grand Prix, and then bounced back to win the last four races in Austria, Britain, Hungary and Germany. He leads the Drivers’ Championship table, with 217 points.
- Nico Rosberg’s performance this year has almost been a mirror-image of Hamilton’s, because whilst he started very well, winning each of the first four races, he has only secured the top spot on the podium in one race since, and that was in the European Grand Prix in June. He finished the most recent race, which was last month’s German Grand Prix, in fourth place, and the 198 points that he has earned this season puts him in second place for the Drivers’ Championship.
- Daniel Ricciardo hasn’t won any races this season, but he has achieved a podium finish on three occasions and has driven well enough to earn 133 points. That means he currently occupies third place in the Drivers’ Championship table, ahead of Ferrari’s Kimi Räikkönen (122 points) and Sebastian Vettel (120 points).
No Grand Prix race is ever easy to win, and the Belgian Grand Prix is well known as being particularly challenging for the teams involved from a preparation point of view because of the unpredictability of the venue’s weather conditions. That said, all of this season’s form points to the race being fought between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg yet again.
Whilst Rosberg will be as keen as ever to get ahead his Mercedes team mate in the Drivers’ Championship rankings – and bounce back from his fourth-place finish in Germany - most bookmakers have Hamilton down as the favourite to win. Given the fact that we prefer to bet on drivers with good recent form, we would agree with that call.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Lewis Hamilton to win the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix at 11/10 – William Hill
*Please note, odds may change as the race approaches.