- Glen Durrant is the BDO’s No.1 player after an impressive year which has seen him win a number of big titles, including the World Masters. However, he has never made the World Championship final and lost 5-4 to Scott Waites in the quarter-finals last year.
- Second seed Scott Mitchell won the title in 2015, while Danny Noppert has surged up third in the BDO rankings over the past year after not even competing at the tournament in 2016.
- Scott Waites sealed the title last year with emphatic wins over Jamie Hughes and Jeff Smith in the semi-finals and final, making it a second world crown after his success in 2013. He goes into this year’s championship as the sixth seed.
- The player with the best record in the tournament is three-times winner Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams, who was most recently champion in 2011. Another veteran, Darryl Fitton, rolled back the years to win the recent BDO World Trophy and qualify for the Grand Slam of Darts.
The recent Grand Slam of Darts, where BDO players compete with rivals from the PDC circuit, suggested that young Dutchman Danny Noppert could be the one to watch in his first World Championship. The rapidly-improving 26-year-old pushed Gary Anderson hard in a 10-9 defeat in the second round, averaging 100, and if he can cope with the pressure of the big occasion he will take some stopping.
The bad news for Noppert, though, is that he is in the same quarter of the draw as defending champion Scott Waites, ensuring that one of the favourites will fall by the wayside relatively early. Scott Mitchell and the dangerous Darryl Fitton, a one-time world record holder for the highest three-dart average in a televised match, are also in the bottom half, so the best bet may be to focus on the upper section of the draw.
Martin Adams has the experience and not a bad draw, but Glen Durrant is a class act who should not be tested too much in the early rounds and will be fully in the groove by the time he meets any of his chief challengers. At pre-tournament odds of 13/8, he still looks worth a flutter even though he is the clear favourite.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Glen Durrant to win the BDO World Championship - 13/8
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.