- Tom Hardy is an extremely versatile actor, and seems to go out of his way to avoid becoming typecast. The 39-year-old made his debut in Black Hawk Down in 2001, and has since played the title role in Bronson, both of the Kray twins in Legend, and starred as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. Those are just some of Hardy’s most notable roles, and his work spans a wide range of genres, so playing Britain’s most famous secret agent is well within his reach.
- Aidan Turner is best known for his starring role in the BBC television drama Poldark and also for playing Kili in the three-part big-screen adaption of The Hobbit. The Irish-born actor is 33 years old, and although he has refused to be drawn on the question of whether or not he has been involved in discussions about becoming the next James Bond, it has been confirmed that he will be filming the fourth series of Poldark this summer.
- Idris Elba has previously ruled himself out of playing James Bond, saying that he is too old for the role. At the age of 44, he is five years younger than Daniel Craig, but Craig first appeared as Bond back in 2006, when he was in his late thirties, so if we are looking at a career move that could span a decade or more, Elba may have a point.
- Tom Hiddleston has previously been the favourite to play Bond, especially after his starring role in the massively popular television series The Night Manager. As far as the big screen is concerned, 36-year-old Hiddleston has played the character Loki in several Marvel productions, including Thor and its two sequels, and The Avengers. Whilst Hiddleston’s odds may have drifted in recent months, he would still be a popular choice among many to play the next 007.
- Several dozen other actors can also be backed to be the next James Bond at larger odds, including James Norton, James McAvoy, Christian Bale, Jude Law and even Colin Firth.
The number of actors who could potentially be selected to take over from Daniel Craig when he eventually hands in his Walther PPK for the final time is truly enormous, so whilst we are focusing here on the handful that are currently being offered at the lowest odds by the bookmakers, it shouldn’t be assumed that they cover all of the possibilities by any means.
Of the actors that we have profiled here, Tom Hardy and Tom Hiddleston appear to be the two most likely to be named as the next James Bond.. Either one would be a good choice, but Hardy is a tad rougher around the edges, and that would help to continue the grittier approach to the Bond adventures that has been taken since Casino Royale. We will therefore follow the example of the unknown British bettor and tip Hardy, albeit cautiously, to land the role.
- Sports.net’s Top Tip: Tom Hardy to be the Next James Bond – 10/3
*Please note, odds may fluctuate.