How the Bookies See it
- England to be eliminated in Round 16: 5/2 – SkyBet
- England to reach the Quarter Finals: 2/7 - Ladbrokes
- England to be eliminated in the Quarter Finals: 11/8 – SkyBet
- England to reach the Semi Finals: 9/4 – William Hill
- England drew 1-1 with Russia in their first Group match on Saturday 11th June, but the team put in a very good performance and were close to winning 1-0, only conceding the equaliser in injury time.
- England went one better in the second Group match to beat Group B winners Wales 2-1 on Thursday 16th June.
- England drew 0-0 with Slovakia on Monday 20th June, with many commentators blaming a rather lacklustre performance on Roy Hodgson’s decision to make six changes in the line-up.
The second-place finish in Group B doesn’t fully reflect how the team has performed on the pitch, and had it avoided the last-minute equaliser in the game against Russia, and faced Slovakia with fewer changes on Monday, the table would have looked very different.
Although England now have a tougher route to the latter stages of the tournament, they have an excellent chance of proceeding to the Quarter Finals. Of the four possible teams that they could face in their next match on Monday 27th June, Portugal would be the one to fear the most, but the magic of Cristiano Ronaldo has been notable by its absence thus far. That gives England a great opportunity to ride out the recent hiccup and go into the last eight.
Assuming that England make it to the Quarter Finals, they will face either France or the team that beats them (the best third-placed team of Group C, D or E). Given that France won two of its three games, and drew in the other, the Quarter Finals could be as far as Hodgson’s boys manage to go.
- Sport’s.net Top Tip: England to be eliminated in the Quarter Finals – 11/8 at SkyBet.
*Please note, odds may fluctuate as the tournament progresses.