How the Bookies See It:
- Handicap Betting: England (-36) 10/11, Draw (-36) 18/1, Scotland (+36) 10/11 – SkyBet
- Highest Scoring Half: 1st Half 53/50, 2nd Half 17/20, Tie 18/1 – Ladbrokes
- Outright Four Nations Winner: Australia 4/11, New Zealand 5/2, England 10/1, Scotland 1000/1 – Paddy Power
- England were defeated by New Zealand in their first match of this tournament, but only by the narrowest of margins, with the game ending 17-16. The team put in a pretty good performance to once again come so close to beating the Kiwis, and England will be keen to fare even better in the upcoming match on Saturday. Tries were scored by Jermaine McGilvary and Ryan Hall, whilst Gareth Widdop scored four conversions.
- Scotland also lost their previous match, which was against Australia, and the final score line in that game was 54-12. The Bravehearts were 30-0 down before they managed to score, but the team improved their defensive play in the second half, and if that hadn’t been the case then the final score could have been a lot worse. Tries were scored by Ryan Brieley and Ben Kavanagh, whilst Danny Brough made a good contribution with two conversions.
It was always going to be a shock if Scotland had beaten Australia, but the team were still disappointed with their slow start against the Kangaroos, and they will be looking to hit the ground running – and scoring – this Saturday. Unfortunately for the Bravehearts, the simple will to win doesn’t always translate to the achievement of that desire, and Scotland will need their opponents to have a significant off-day if they are to make it happen this weekend.
England need to beat Scotland to have any chance of reaching the final of this tournament, but they will also be mindful of the fact that qualification could come down to separating tied teams on points difference. That will motivate them to want to win by the widest possible margin, so we will side with England to win in the Handicap Betting market at Ladbrokes, and hope that they can successfully overcome the -36 point handicap.
- Sports.net’s top tip: England to win with a (-36) handicap – 10/11 with Ladbrokes
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.