How the Bookies See it
- Winner: France 6/13, Draw 16/5, Ireland 9/1 - 888Sport
- First Goalscorer: Giroud 9/2, Griezmann 9/2, Shane Long 12/1 - Paddy Power
- To Win on Penalties: France 12/1, Ireland 14/1 - BetVictor
- France eventually overcame Romania on the opening day of the competition, made heavy work of beating Albania and drew with Switzerland, meaning that despite topping their group, they have yet to really convince other about their performance. However, having home advantage and with a galaxy of stars at their disposal, it is possible they are warming up towards a strong showing at the business end of Euro 2016.
- Ireland disappointed in their first two games, drawing with a woeful Swedish side and being battered by the Belgians. The third match against Italy saw a complete reversal, culminating in a deserved win that will give Martin O’Neill and his team great heart as they face the hosts.
The bookies have France as such clear favourites that they are just not worth backing for a straight win, but Coral’s 27/20 on them to be winning at both half time and full time is worth considering. Given that the hosts have left it late in their two victories so far, you might also be tempted to go for 888Sport’s 37/13 on the scores to be level at half time and for France to win the game. You will also find 5/1 from Paddy Power on Dimitri Payet repeating his feat of the opening two fixtures and being last goalscorer, with evens from the same firm for the last goal of the game coming after the 70th minute.
At first glance, Bet365’s 10/1 on Ireland to win seems ridiculously generous in a two-horse race, especially when the outsider has just defeated Italy. However, the Italians rested a lot of their stars for that match, so it may not be as accurate a gauge of the Republic’s fortunes as some may think. There will still be plenty who decide to throw a bit of pocket change at that bet though, because it is by no means an impossible outcome.
- Sports.net’s top tip - Draw/France in Half Time/Full Time - 37/13 at 888Sport
Please note that odds can fluctuate in the lead up to the match.