How the Bookies see it
- Match Winner: Germany 4/9, Draw 57/17, Slovakia 9/1 - 888Sport
- To Qualify: Germany 1/5, Slovakia 7/2 - Coral
- First Goalscorer: Mario Gomez 10/3, Thomas Muller 10/3, Mario Gotze 7/2 - William Hill
- Germany followed up a 2-0 victory over Ukraine in their opening Group C match by drawing 0-0 with Poland and then beating Northern Ireland 1-0. They finished top of the group with seven points and no goals conceded.
- Slovakia slipped to a 2-1 defeat by Wales to start their Euro 2016 campaign, but then bounced back to see off Russia 2-1 and held England to a goalless draw to seal their place in the last 16 as one of the best third-ranked teams.
- It was Slovakia who triumphed 3-1 when the two teams played in a friendly on 29th May, although the match was badly disrupted by heavy rain.
Slovakia may have been impressive in their friendly win over Germany prior to the tournament, but since both teams touched down in France there has been little to suggest a repeat performance might be on the cards. They played some nice football against Russia and even against Wales in patches, but their defensive display in the draw with England probably provided a better indicator of how they will approach Germany.
While England may not have been able to break Slovakia down, Germany are a completely different proposition. They looked awesome against Northern Ireland and could have scored six or seven had it not been for heroic goalkeeping and wasteful finishing. Germany are not likely to let so many chances pass them by again and really should win, so the best value may be found in combining the match result and goalscorer markets.
Mario Gomez was granted his first start of the competition against Northern Ireland and responded with the winning goal. He offers Germany a more direct option which could work well against Slovakia, and can be backed at 7/2 with William Hill to score in a 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 victory. A narrow German victory seems a very possible outcome against a Slovakia side which will show plenty of spirit but will probably just come up short.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Mario Gomez to score and Germany to win 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 - 7/2 at William Hill
*Please note, odds may change in the lead-up to the match