How the Bookies See It:
- Winner: Leeds 1/1, Cambridge 5/2, Draw 13/5 – Paddy Power
- Under/Over 2.5 Goals: Under 4/5, Over 10/11 – Sky Bet
- Both Teams to Score: Yes 4/5, No 19/20 – William Hill
- Cambridge United have reached the third round of the FA Cup thanks to a 4-2 win over Dover Athletic in the first round and an even more convincing 4-0 win over Coventry in the second round. The team has previously reached the Quarter Final stage of this competition, but have yet to win. The U’s are currently in seventh place in the League Two table, having won 11, drawn five and lost eight of their 24 matches. They have scored a total of 35 goals in those games and conceded 26, giving them an average of 1.45 goals scored per match. Cambridge have played Leeds United four times previously, losing twice and drawing twice.
- Leeds United have won the FA Cup once, and that was in 1972 when they achieved a 1-0 win over Arsenal. They have also been runners-up on three occasions, in 1965, 1970 and 1973, but they haven’t reached a final since. The Whites are in fifth place in the Championship table, and have won 14, drawn three and lost eight of their 25 matches, with 34 goals scored and 24 goals conceded. That means Leeds have scored an average of 1.36 goals per match. They most recently played Cambridge in April 1984, when they were held to a 2-2 draw, and they will be coming here on the back of a 3-0 Championship win over Rotherham.
Given the facts that Leeds have been more successful in this competition and are playing a couple of leagues above Cambridge, it isn’t at all surprising that the bookmakers have installed the Whites as the favourites to win this match. That doesn’t mean that it will be a walkover, however, and Cambridge have been playing well enough this season to put up a decent fight. We doubt that the U’s will manage to beat their opponents on Monday, but we do expect them to score, and it is a slim possibility so we will bet on both teams to score and look forward to seeing what happens.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Both Teams to Score – 4/5 with William Hill
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.