How the Bookies See It:
- Winner: Manchester United 23/20, Draw 23/10, Everton 5/2 – Paddy Power
- Draw No Bet: Manchester United 4/9, Everton 6/4 – Ladbrokes
- Goal In Both Halves: Yes 4/5, No 10/11 – SkyBet
- Everton are sitting in seventh place in the Premier League table, having won five, drawn four and lost four matches in the season thus far. Their most recent match resulted in a 0-1 away loss to Southampton on Sunday 27th November, and that followed a 1-1 draw with Swansea on Saturday 19th November. The Toffees have now won just one of their last eight league matches, and that was on 30th October, when they beat West Ham 2-0. Having scored 16 goals and conceded 15 in a total of 13 matches, Everton have scored an average of 1.23 goals per match.
- Manchester United are just one place higher in the table than Everton, and have won five, drawn five and lost three games. Their last two league matches both resulted in 1-1 draws (with West Ham on Sunday 27th November and Arsenal on Saturday 19th November), and their most recent league win was on Sunday 6th November, when they overcame Swansea 3-1. Man Utd’s recent form outside the Premier League has been much better of late, with a 4-0 win over Feyenoord in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday 24th November and a 4-1 League Cup win over West Ham on Wednesday 30th November. United have scored 18 goals and conceded 15 from their 13 league games, giving them an average of 1.4 goals scored per match.
Everton and Manchester United might be sitting next to each other in the table, but the Red Devils have superior recent form even if we restrict our attention to Premier League games. Outside the league, Manchester United have scored eight goals in their last two games, and that should be more than enough to give them a very good chance against lacklustre Everton.
That being the case, we believe that the bookmakers are right to make Manchester United the favourite to win, and we wouldn’t be at all surprised if Sunday’s match ends up looking a lot more one-sided that the goal stats suggest. We will therefore bet on Manchester United to win in the match outright, and hope that José Mourinho’s boys will do enough to add another three points to their Premier League tally.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Manchester United to win – 23/20 with Paddy Power
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.