How the Bookies See It:
- Winner: Watford 11/8, Crystal Palace 19/10, Draw 23/10 – Bet365
- Goals Under/Over 2.5: Under 4/6, Over 11/10 – Paddy Power
- Both Teams to Score: Yes 8/11, No 1/1 – William Hill
- Watford haven’t had the best season thus far, with just six wins and three draws to their credit from 17 matches. They have won just one match from their last five, and that was achieved on Saturday 10th December, when they beat Everton 3-2. They then lost 2-0 when playing Manchester City away from home on Wednesday 14th December, and their most recent game against Sunderland on Saturday 17th December saw them lose 1-0. The Hornets have scored 21 goals and conceded 29, giving them a goal difference of -8 and an average of 1.23 goals scored per match.
- Crystal Palace have fared even worse than Watford this year, with four wins, three draws and ten losses from their 17 league games. They have won just one of their last ten matches, and that was a 3-0 victory over Southampton on Saturday 3rd December. Since then they have achieved a 3-3 draw with Hull, suffered a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United and they lost 1-0 to Chelsea in their latest match on Saturday 17th December. Palace have scored 28 goals and conceded 32, for a goal difference of -4 and an average of 1.64 goals scored per game.
The bookmakers have made Watford the favourites to win this match, and the overall form makes that look like the most sensible decision. Whilst Crystal Palace have been a little more prolific than the home side in terms of the number of goals they have scored this season, they have also conceded more goals, and as far as results are concerned, they don’t have much to smile about.
Historically, Crystal Palace have been the better team when facing Watford, and when they last met in their FA Cup match on Sunday 24th April, they won by 2-1. Unfortunately, their recent form makes their historical achievements seem rather irrelevant, and since they have lost eight of their last ten Premier League matches, we don’t expect them to fare very well at Vicarage Road.
The goal stats taken in isolation suggest that this game could end as a 1-2 win to Palace, but given their recent form we would be much more confident about a 2-1 win to Watford. We will therefore avoid the outright result market altogether and will bet instead on there being over 2.5 goals in total.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Over 2.5 Goals – 11/10 with PaddyPower
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.