How the Bookies See It:
- Winner: West Ham 9/5, Draw 21/10, Southampton 6/4 – Ladbrokes
- Over/Under 2.5 Goals: Over 10/11, Under 10/11 – William Hill
- Both Teams to Score: Yes 4/6, No 11/10 – Paddy Power
- West Ham have had a very poor start to the 2016/17 Premier League season, losing 4 and winning just 1 of the 5 matches they have played so far for a total of 3 points. Their sole win was on the 21st of August, when they beat Bournemouth 1-0, but that was after Bournemouth had been reduced to 10 men, so even that victory wasn’t as convincing as it could have been. The Hammers have since lost all of their Premier League matches, falling by two goals to four against Watford on the10th of September and by the same score line when visiting West Bromwich Albion on 17th September. Encouragingly for their fans, West Ham managed to beat Accrington Stanley 1-0 in the English Football League Cup match on Tuesday 21st September. The team has scored 7 goals and conceded 13 in their Premier League games this season.
- Southampton are currently 7th from the bottom of the table with 5 points. Of the league matches played this season, the Saints have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 2, and they will come to this match on the back of a 1-0 Premier League win over Swansea on the 18th of September, and a 2-0 English Football League Cup win over Crystal Palace on Wednesday 21st September. They also won their UEFA Europa League match against Sparta Prague by three goals to nil on Thursday 15th September, so their recent form is good, and their two losses this season were to Arsenal on the 10th of September and Manchester United on the 19th of August. Southampton have scored 4 goals and conceded 6 in their 2016/17 domestic league games.
The problem with predicting the outcome of a match between two teams who are both struggling to win their Premier League games is that there is little ‘best form’ to compare them. Southampton’s two draws demonstrate that they are better at holding up against the opposition than West Ham have been, but they have only scored four times from five league games, so we don’t expect to see a festival of goals any time soon. That said, West Ham have conceded plenty, so the visitors probably won’t have to be particularly special to earn themselves another three points on Sunday.
Bearing all of that in mind, we are cautiously selecting Southampton to win this match.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Southampton to win the match – 6/4 with Ladbrokes
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.