How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Chelsea 5/4, Liverpool 11/5, Draw 13/5 - BetVictor
- First Goalscorer: Diego Costa 5/1, Michy Batshuayi 6/1, Daniel Sturridge 13/2 - Paddy Power
- Correct Score: Draw 1-1 6/1, Chelsea 2-1 17/2, Chelsea 1-0 9/1 - Bet365
- Chelsea have made a positive start to the season, winning their first three games and scoring seven goals in the process. However, a slip-up in their last game against Swansea City cost the Blues their 100-percent start to the campaign and their place at the top of the table.
- Liverpool began the season with a mixed bag of results, securing a dramatic win at Arsenal, slumping to a baffling defeat at Burnley and picking up a point at Tottenham. Jurgen Klopp’s men seemed to rediscover their spark in their last game, soundly thrashing Premier League champions Leicester City 4-1 in front of the biggest Anfield crowd for over 30 years.
Chelsea seemed to have put the nightmare of last season behind them until a wobble in South Wales appeared to rattle the team. The Blues may be undefeated, but they have kept only one clean sheet all season, something that is most peculiar for a Conte side. The Italian saw his Juventus side concede an average of less than 23 goals during his three seasons in charge, but the same defensive stability does not seem to be present at Chelsea just yet. A bet of both teams to score and the home side to win could be a fair bet, with Sky Bet offering odds of 3/1.
Diego Costa looks to have rediscovered his form in front of goal, with former Liverpool captain Phil Thompson claiming that the Brazilian-born Spaniard has ‘got his mojo back’. The 27-year-old has netted four times in the league already and could be worth backing to score on Friday. Paddy Power have the striker priced at 5/1 to break the deadlock, while a goal at anytime offers odds of 3/2 with Sky Bet.
Given their mixture of results since Jürgen Klopp’s appointment, Liverpool have certainly been a difficult team to bet on. The Reds have scored nine times in their opening four matches, including four goal hauls against Arsenal and Leicester, but their defense has been one of the leakiest in the division. Simon Mignolet is 10/3 with Bet365 to keep a clean sheet, an outcome that looks unlikely, but could happen if the backline keeps Chelsea’s strikers under control.
The away side will be hoping for another impressive performance from Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane, who were instrumental in their team’s goal-hunting efforts against the Foxes. Both players are well-priced to score first, with Firmino coming in at 7/1 and Mane 15/2, both with BetVictor. These two teams are well known for producing classic matches, with only one goalless draw in their past 34 meetings, so expect the net to bulge at some point in the evening in what could be a thrilling encounter.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Correct Score 2-2 - 14/1 with William Hill
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.