How the Bookies See it
- Winner: Man United 1/2, Draw 7/2, West Ham 6/1 - Coral
- First Goalscorer: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (MUN) 10/3, Marcus Rashford (MUN) 9/2, Wayne Rooney (MUN) 11/2 - Betfred
- Correct Score: Man United 2-0 7/1, Man United 1-0 15/2, Draw 1-1 8/1 - BetVictor
- Manchester United come into this game on the back of Thursday night 4-0 thrashing of Feyenoord, a result that saw the hosts record their first home win in over a month. Cup exploits aside, United are winless at Old Trafford since September and have picked up just seven points from a possible 18 available in the Premier League, a run that has seen Jose Mourinho’s men slip to sixth in the table.
- West Ham United were desperately unlucky to lose last weekend’s London derby with Spurs as they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in a game that saw the home side steal all three points in the dying moments. The result denied Slaven Bilic’s side a vital win in their efforts to avoid being dragged into a relegation dogfight and cast even darker clouds over fans and players alike. With just two wins from their last ten league games, the Hammers will need to rediscover the kind of form that saw them finish ahead of the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea last season if they are to avoid the trap door in May.
If Manchester United are to improve under the management of Jose Mourinho, they must start by turning Old Trafford into a fortress. The Red Devils have already dropped nine valuable points at home this campaign, an issue that must be addressed, particularly against the weaker sides in the league this year. Thursday’s emphatic Europa League win showed that United are capable of hurting teams and a bewildered West Ham side could be easy pickings for Mourinho’s men. A home win is priced at 1/2, but for better odds it might be worth looking towards the winning margin markets. A United victory by two goals is a 10/3 shout with Sky Bet, while a win by three goals is available at 11/2 with Bet365. A win to nil could also be worth considering at 31/20 with BetVictor.
Old Trafford is not a happy hunting ground for West Ham. The London side last tasted sweet success in Manchester’s red half back in 2007, when a solitary Carlos Tevez goal wrapped up the win and Premier League survival in the Hammer’s final game of the season. However, since then West Ham fans have been forced to endure a succession of unsuccessful trips to the Theatre of Dreams, with last season’s meeting providing their only point in over nine years. Needless to say, a win this weekend is not heavily fancied, with the away side priced at a 6/1 to leave with a much-needed victory, while an unlikely win to nil is priced at 13/1, both with BetVictor. Should the visitors sneak all three points, a 1-0 scoreline looks tempting at 20/1 with Bet365.
For those looking for a flutter on the goalscorers markets, United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic is well priced at 10/3 with Coral to net first, while a goal at anytime for the Swedish striker is available at 4/5 with BetVictor. For those looking for far greater odds, a wager on West Ham’s Michail Antonio could be worth considering. The 26-year-old winger has enjoyed a fantastic start to the season and has netted six goals already. A bet on the Englishman to score anytime in a Manchester United win is priced at 9/1, while an opening goal for the former Sheffield Wednesday man in a home win is priced at a sensational 100/1 with William Hill.
- Sports.net’s top tip: Michail Antonio to score anytime and Man United to win - 9/1 with William Hill
*Please note that odds may fluctuate in the run-up to kick-off.