- Max Holloway v José Aldo: Holloway, as the current featherweight champion, is the rightful favourite, and his stats show an average of 5.79 landed strikes per minute compared with 3.32 per minute for Aldo. Holloway has won 18 of 21 fights, whilst Aldo has won 26 of 29, but Holloway beat Aldo by TKO in the third round in June of this year, and that experience will serve him very well here.
- Alistair Overeem v Francis Ngannou: Overeem is the more experienced of the two fighters, but Ngannou is a rapidly rising star in the heavyweight division, and has won a Performance of the Night bonus in each of his last two fights.
- Henry Cejudo v Sergio Pettis: Cejudo is a worthy favourite to beat Pettis, and has a 100% record when it comes to takedown defence. He has won 36% of his fights by KO or TKO, compared with 19% for Pettis, and lands slightly more strikes per minute.
- Eddie Alvarez v Justin Gaethje: Alvarez is a well-respected fighter, with 28 wins from 33 matches (plus one No Contest), and 61% of those successes were achieved by KO or TKO. However, Gaethje has won 18 from 18 fights, including 15 by knockout, and it would be a surprise if he is defeated by Alvarez.
- Tecia Torres v Michelle Waterson: The only women’s fight on the bill sees Tecia Torres take on Michelle Waterson. Torres has won nine fights from ten, with 78% of them being achieved by decision. Waterson has won 14 of 19 fights, so has a significant lower success rate, but has only had 14 fights determined by decision, so in some respects this is a tricky bout to call.
One of the most exciting things about UFC is the fact that everything can – and often does – turn on a dime. A single strike can sometimes be all it takes for an underdog to emerge victorious, and so we wouldn’t expect every fight on the UFC 218 card to go entirely to form. For betting purposes, we would expect Holloway, Ngannou and Gaethje to win, and since the fighter from Cameroon is being offered at the best odds, we will side with Ngannou to add an 11th win to his CV this Saturday.
Sports.net's Top Tip
|Overeem v Ngannou||
*Please note, odds may change as UFC 218 approaches.