- Kris Marshall was a very popular selection to play the 13th incarnation of the Doctor before it was announced that Jodie Whittaker had landed the part. Kris is best known for his roles as Detective Inspector Humphrey Goodman in Death in Paradise, Colin Frissell in Love Actually and Nick Harper in My Family.
- Michaela Coel rose to fame via the Channel 4 Chewing Gum, which she both wrote and starred in. The television show was based on Michaela’s stage play, Chewing Gum Dreams, and a second series was aired earlier this year.
- Natalie Dormer is an accomplished film and television actress who received glowing reviews when playing Anne Boleyn in The Tudors. Natalie has appeared in a wide range of movies and TV shows, and is most recently known for her roles as Margaery Tyrell in Game of Thrones and Jamie Moriarty/Irene Adler in Elementary.
- Maxine Peake became famous as Twinkle in the Victoria Wood sitcom Dinnerladies, and has since had dozens of roles in shows as diverse as Shameless, Little Dorrit, Criminal Justice, Silk and The Village.
- Tom Rosenthal is the son of sports presenter Jim Rosenthal, and is perhaps best known for playing Jonathan ‘Johnny’ Goodman in Friday Night Dinner and Roman slave Marcus Gallow in the sitcom Plebs.
- Bet365 name more than 60 other people as possible contenders to play the next Doctor, including the likes of Tilda Swinton (16/1), Robert Carlyle (33/1), Helen Mirren (40/1), Stephen Fry (80/1) and Katie Hopkins (125/1).
It is no surprise to see the short end of this betting market being heavily populated by women. The selection of Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor was viewed as a watershed moment which has undoubtedly made it easier for other actresses to follow. Any bet placed at this time, before even a single episode with the 13th Doctor has been filmed, has to be viewed as wholly speculative, but we would quite like to see Kris Marshall in the role, and so we will side with him to be the next Doctor Who after Jodie Whittaker.
Sport.net's Top Tip
|Next Doctor Who After Jodie Whittaker||
*Please note, odds may fluctuate, much like time and space do when you have a TARDIS.